March 15, 2021 — We were thrilled to welcome 11 Canadian cleantech start-ups to NYC in partnership with Sustainable Development Technology Canada (SDTC), an independent federal foundation and flagship program that has invested almost $1.3 billion in Canadian climate tech companies over the past 2 decades.
The SDTC Seed Fund Program is a partnership between SDTC and leading Canadian accelerators. All of the clients SDTC selected for its seed fund went through technical and financial due diligence, and received a $50k-$100k investment from SDTC. The Consulate General of Canada in New York worked with SDTC to identify a first cohort of 11 Seed Fund companies to bring to the U.S. market from March 15-19. The programming featured a virtual customer and investor pitch day, as well as sessions on how to break into the New York and U.S. markets, digital marketing for cleantech in the US, legal prep for venture investment, effective US customer discovery and protecting your IP. The 2021 SDTC Seed Fund cohort included the following companies:
- Absolute Combustion: Zero NOx, high efficiency burner for low cost industrial heat
- Bio-Stream Diagnostics: 30-Second COVID test with a point of care device
- Calogy Solutions: thermal management that extends li-ion battery range and life
- Direct-C: intelligent coatings for rapid accurate hydrocarbon leak detection
- G2V Optics: LEDs with advanced spectral technology for commercial horticulture
- Mechasys: laser speed layout for construction
- Omniply Technologies: delivering flexibility to rigid electronics
- Pani Energy: AI optimization of water & wastewater plan operations by up to 25%
- Phycus: helping brands make clean cosmetics from sustainable ingredients
- Reazent: high efficiency sustainable input products for agriculture & industry
- SeeO2 Energy: converting waste CO2 into chemical feedstocks & fuels
View the full dealbook here.
About Sustainable Development Technology Canada (SDTC)
SDTC helps Canadian companies develop and deploy competitive, clean technology solutions, to help solve some of the world’s most pressing environmental challenges: climate change, clean air, clean water and clean soil. They do this through funding, knowledge and ecosystem connectivity – making a difference in today’s hypercompetitive global market for clean technologies. By taking a cross-Canada approach, in partnership with the best peers and experts, they are the global benchmark for sustainable development innovation programming. As an independent federal foundation and flagship program, their funding of Canadian entrepreneurs has created jobs, growth and long-term prosperity for Canada. Since inception, SDTC has invested over $1.28billion in 450 companies, creating 14,600 jobs. Their companies have reduced greenhouse gas emissions by an estimated 19.3 megatonnes annually, that is equivalent to taking almost 6 million cars off the roads every year.